- Leisure Time Spent Sitting In Relation to Total Mortality in a Prospective Cohort of US Adults, Alpa V. Patel, et. al., Published online July 22, 2010
- Assessment of Stresses in the Cervical Spine Caused by Posture and Position of the Head; Kenneth K. Hansraj, MD, Chief of Spine Surgery, New York Spine Surgery & Rehabilitation Medicine, New York, New York.
- Cuddy, Amy J.C., Caroline A. Wilmuth, and Dana R. Carney. “The Benefit of Power Posing Before a High-Stakes Social Evaluation.” Harvard Business School Working Paper, No. 13-027, September 2012.
- Are Sitting Occupations Associated with Increased All-Cause, Cancer, and Cardiovascular Disease Mortality Risk? A Pooled Analysis of Seven British Population Cohorts; Emmanuel Stamatakis, Josephine Y. Chau, Zeljko Pedisic, Adrian Bauman, Rona Macniven, Ngaire Coombs, Mark Hamer
PLoS One. 2013; 8(9): e73753. Published online 2013 September 26.
- How are habits formed: Modeling habit formation in the real world, European Journal of Social Psychology 2010, Phillippa Lally et al.
Physical Risks of Sitting
- Is Sitting A Lethal Activity? New York Times, James Vlahos, April 14, 2011
- American Heart Association: Doctors Should Monitor Exercise Habits – CBS News, October 15, 2013
- American Heart Association Likens Sitting to Smoking, Corey Murray, Associations Now, Corey Murray, October 18, 2013;
- Do you have ‘sitting disease’?, By Jennifer K. Nelson, R.D., L.D. and Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D. July 25, 2012;
- What Are The Risks of Sitting Too Much?, Mayo Clinic website, Dr. James A. Levine, M.D., Ph.D.
- Don’t Just Sit There, American Cancer Society website
Cognitive and Emotional Impacts of Sitting
- How Habits Are Formed, And Why They’re So Hard To Change
Aug 17, 2014 10:49 AM By Stephanie Castillo;
- How long does it take to form a habit?, University College London website, August 4, 2009;
- Busting the 21 days habit formation myth, Ben D. Gardner, The Health Behavior Centre Blog, June 29, 2012;
- Mini Habits: Smaller Habits, Bigger Results, Stephen Guise, 2013
- The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business, Charles Duhigg
The Power of Movement and Alignment
- A 2-Minute Walk May Counter the Harms of Sitting, New York Times, May 13, 2015;
- The Walking Alive – Don’t Stop Moving, Susan Orlean, New Yorker, May 20, 2013
- Sit Up Straight. Your Back Thanks You, New York Times, Lesley Alderman, June 24, 2011;
- Move your DNA, Katy Bowman, 2014
- “Burning Question: Why Sit Up Straight?”; Heidi Mitchell; The Wall Street Journal, May 6, 2013
Humor and Miscellaneous
- Sitting Is Bad for You, So I Stopped, For a Whole Month, Dan Kois, New York Magazine June 9, 2014
- The Story of the Human Body, Daniel E. Lieberman, Chair of the Department of Human Evolutionary Biology, Harvard University;
- Seeing is Believing: the Power of Visualization, Angle LeVan, Psychology Today, December 2009
- (Infographic) Sitting Disease By the Numbers
- Seven Weird Ways Your Posture Messes With You, Keely Savoie; Prevention Magazine October 2012;